Skip to main content

What's Next? Life of a Budding Caribbean Sport Professional


All of the studying, the hard work, the dedication, long hours, papers written, presentations given, leading up to that one dissertation, then to graduation to bring me to this point. What next?

To return home to a country that does not recognize the importance of sport as a profession could go down to date as one of my biggest regrets. Should I just throw my hands in the air and give up? Should I stay committed to the cause that drove me to pursue these academic qualifications and trod on? These questions still remained unanswered. Truth is, I'm an academic, to study and to continue to mould myself into the type of professional I want to be is my aim. I've been told by many that I'm too young to seek a Doctoral qualification in sport; suicide they call it, yet I press on.

I'm not too down-hearted, I still have some faith left but with each passing day and each missed opportunity, that slowly dwindles away. If I intend to stay, I have to make a way. I need to be heard, my work needs to be seen and justice for sports needs to be served! 

I'll hold on just a while longer, stay optimistic and work towards future opportunities. Eventually, something's got to give.

~Dawn~

Comments

  1. Hey Dawn, don't get frustrated, I understand how you feel. I don't have a degree but I have been in sports for as long as I can remember and the people of Barbados just does not understand that sports has become the biggest thing in the world. We as the sports people must push on and continue to fly the flag for others to come. Also, I see that you are into blogging. Let me show you a fantastic way that you can monetize your blog. Inbox me, or just go to www.makemoneywithtoniad.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonia, I'm just seeing this. I guess I'm 4 years too late!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Individualism in Team Sports - Good or Bad?

Everyone has to be individual in their own right but in a team setting should that individualism be converted to selfish competition among team members? It is my belief that this type of behaviour breaks down team unity and causes tension among team members. What can be done to curb this behaviour? How can we stop this rivalry among team members and build cohesion to enhance overall team performance? Is this type of individualistic behaviour engrained in us or does it develop out of our interaction with the various environments that we are placed in. Whatever the source, it is something that needs to be eliminated if a team is to function effectively. Not everyone possesses this competitive attitude and it takes away the enjoyment derived from sport participation and lessens the camaraderie associated with the interaction of people who share a common interest. I personally believe that athletes should be assessed adequately before entering a team setting as we may be able to fi

Sport Psychology in the Caribbean: The Way Forward

It has been just over a year since the completion of my MSc. Programme and 10 months since my return to Barbados. After my last blog post, I put my head down and deliberated on how I could make the best of my situation at home recognising the under-development of the field of Sport Psychology here in Barbados.  After much thought, a light in my head switched on (cliché I know) and I decided to take the chance and host my own seminars to educate Barbadians, athletes, coaches, PE Teachers and Sport Directors on the benefits of the field.  The DML Sport Psychology series comprises of five (5) in depth Sport Psychology discussions centered around SP education, leading into the specifics of Mental Skills Training (MST). This event is scheduled to commence November 4, 2013 and conclude on November 8. It has also been endorsed by the National Sports Council and Academy of Sport Cave Hill (UWI) due to its contribution to Sport Education and Development. Spaces are limited as I bel